8/07/2009

Tori to Jyagaimo no Nimono

Nimono is food that is boiled and seasoned. Many Japanese home cooked meals are prepared in this fashion. There are many kinds of nimono recipes. This one is chicken (tori) and jyagaimo (potato). More in future posts!

Yield: 2 servings
Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1/2 lb boneless thigh chicken
  • 4 medium potatoes (each potato cut in to 6~8 pieces for )
  • 1 medium onion (sliced)
  • 1 clove of garlic (crushed)
Spices
  • 4 tsp soy sauce
  • 2 tsp sake
  • 2 tsp mirin
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp hondashi
Preparation
  1. Mix spices together in a small bowl with 1 1/2 cups water
  2. Heat oil in a pot and sauté garlic, then add onion continue for two minutes over medium heat
  3. Add chicken, cook for two minutes, then add potatoes and mix
  4. Add mixed spices, cover, and cook for 18 minutes on low heat

3 comments:

  1. Tonight I tried to make Tori to Jyagaimo Nimono. It was interesting. I got lazy and used 1lb in bone chicken thighs instead =P. So I figured, I would double everything on your ingredients.

    The only thing I did not do was use 1 1/2 cups of water with the spice mix. But the chicken still turned out ok as a lot of liquid was released while it was slowly simmering on low heat.

    Hopefully I did not cook this dish wrong.

    Thanks again Mai.

    Mr. Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for trying the recipe, I was wondering if the recipe tasted very strong without water. Each family has their own taste for nimono recipe, so please find your favorite as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mai,

    The chicken was actually well flavored without water. All the spices was absorbed into the meat and potatoes. I will probably try it with water next time to taste the difference. My only mistake was using in bone chicken thighs with skin on. This made cooking a little longer, and because of the skin the dish was a little on the fatty side. I will try my best and not be lazy next time ~ =P

    Thanks.

    Mr. Vancouver

    ReplyDelete