the ubiquitous food carts wheeling up and down the aisles on Japanese bullet trains, or "shinkansen." Katsu sandwiches are not only delicious, but very easy to make.
Yield: 2 servings
Time: 20 minutes
- 2 pork chops (bones removed)
- 4 slices buttered toast
- 1 egg, beaten
- Tonkatsu Sauce
- 1 cup Panko (or breadcrumbs)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/8 cup flour
- Cut through any visible tendons on the chops, then pound the meat to tenderize. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle flour on both sides of each pork chop then dredge in egg. Cover with Panko.
- Heat oil to 375°F (190°C) and fry pork chops until golden brown (about 3 minutes on each side).
- Sandwich the pork chops with cabbage and tonkatsu sauce.
- Cut and enjoy!